3rd January, 2018.
1st Forms (Red, Blue Green & Purple): YORK TRIP
The aim of this trip is to show the children one of England’s most interesting and beautiful northern cities. At one time it was the country’s premier city – greater than London!
- Cockfosters Tube Station at 8.00 a.m. on Sunday, 20th. (We shall assemble downstairs near the ticket office).
- Our return: Cockfosters on Thursday, 24th May – afternoon at 4.30 p.m.
Please do ensure that you make it promptly on time. Our seats on British Rail, (from Kings Cross to York) will have been booked. If we miss this train it will be impossible to get on the next one – not with the number of pupils and teachers in the group. So please be on time. We shall not be able to wait for late ones.
Also, picking up the children from Cockfosters on our return. After a long tiring journey, the teachers should not have to wait for any parent turning up late. Sadly, too often, this does happen. I remember how one teacher was kept waiting for over an hour!
Hotel: We have reserved the Hampton by Hilton York and this will be held until the end of January. It is a new hotel and the accommodation will be first class.
- Children should come dressed in sensible clothes. If in doubt check with me.
No uniform will be required for this trip, but sensible clothes are a MUST however. We shall be staying at the Hampton by Hilton York and we do not want to look ridiculously out of place.
- Keep luggage to a minimum. The children will be carrying their own luggage all the way there and back, so please insist that only essential items are included. (On previous trips I have seen some pupils bring hairdryers with them! (In any case, towels and hairdryers would be available at the hotel.)
- Left to your discretion.
- If there is anything concerning the health of your child that I ought to know, e.g. if your child requires any medication whilst on the trip, then please contact me immediately.
Included in the cost:
- Breakfast (Monday – Thursday)
- Dinner (Sunday – Wednesday) and packed lunch on Thursday.
For any extra food (snacks, cakes, ice cream or Pizza Hut) I would suggest approximately £5/£6 per day.
Children can bring their mobiles, but should be used sensibly. There will be a mobile curfew from 10.00 p.m. until 10.00 a.m. The children will be sharing a room with others. I am sure you will agree that it would be most inconsiderate to disturb their partners with constantly ringing mobiles. It is inconsiderate to subject someone who wants to sleep or rest to mobile chatter.
The things we intend to do and see:
- Orientation Walk – Getting to know York’s city centre.
- York Castle Museum – Step into a world where time stands still. We shall wander along reconstructed streets and prison cells! Also, we shall see hundreds of household objects which were so familiar to our grand, and great-grand parents, but now part of history. (Authentic examples of washing machines, TVs, telephones rooms interior decoration, prison cells and whole streets … as they have changed over the years.
- Jorvik Viking Centre – An award winning ‘time car’ journey back in time back a 1,000 years to a Viking village!
- Full day visit to Castle Howard
- York Minster Visitors Centre
- Stonegate Walk – Covered shopping in the heart of York.
- Coppergate Shopping – High Street shopping in a traffic free zone.
- Clifford Tower
- National Railway Museum – The world’s largest railway museum.
- A guided ‘Ghost Walk’ at night – On past trips, pupils have told me this was their favourite activity.
I hope the children will enjoy their visit; it will be a busy five days.
Pupil’s Name: _____________________________________ Form: _________
Please tick the appropriate box and return this slip by Friday, 19th January at the latest.
I would like my child to go to York. [ ]
Please send a non-refundable deposit of £100.00 (cash or cheque.) Please do not pay this money through the school’s bank account. Please return this confirmation slip if you wish your child to come on this trip by Friday, 19th January. I understand that the full balance will be payable by Friday, 9th March.
I do not wish my child to go to York. [ ]
Signed Parent/Guardian: ______________________________ Date: ___________
To print this letter at home, please click HERE.